Ohio Social Security Disability And SSI Legal Blog

How do you contact your members of Congress?

If there is a delay in your claim for Social Security Disability benefits and you are starting to get frustrated, you are within your rights to turn to the members of Congress who represent your district or Ohio as a whole. Though your congressional members do not have the power or authority to instantly resolve any and all Social Security claims issues, they can sometimes be helpful in expediting a stalled claims process. 

It never does any harm to ask your legislators for help, and it may well do some good. However, you need to take the first step in reaching out to them. According to the National Priorities Project, there are several ways to accomplish this. 

Social media

One of the newest ways to get in touch with lawmakers and congressional aides is through online social media applications, such as Twitter or Facebook. This is an easy way to gain the attention of other constituents and draw attention to your issue. However, it may not be the most effective way to enlist the help of a member of Congress with your Social Security claim. For that, you may need to use a different method of contact.


Written correspondence may be more effective at catching the attention of your legislators and hopefully gaining their sympathy and support. A personal letter written or typed on paper can be very persuasive. Unfortunately, mail delivery to the Capitol can be extremely slow due to the need to screen for harmful objects. If your matter is urgent, it may be better to send an email rather than a letter. Most legislators have an online form allowing you to send an email directly from their websites.

Phone call

A phone call is an effective way to get in touch with your legislator’s office quickly. However, do not expect to speak directly to the member of Congress as each employs staff to take phone calls. You should be able to find the number on the legislator’s website or through an online search. 

The information in this article is not intended as legal advice but provided for educational purposes only.